Sometimes it seems as if every aspect of modern life conspires to turn us against our natures. So many of us are disconnected from the natural world around us, and we too eagerly go along with the soul-crushing and physically unhealthy trends of the times. But it is possible to live a better life, even without changing the central aspects of your career, home, and family. In fact, one can live perfectly well in the modern world without giving in to all its negatives. If you follow these seven simple rules, life can be much better, and you can achieve natural health.
1. Live for others. There is certainly something to be said for setting goals for oneself and pursuing the happiest life possible, but what we cannot forget is that there is no personal fulfillment without meaningful relationships and love shared with others. Always remember to be thankful for the people in your life, and have as much compassion for others as you can. Remember that we all come from different backgrounds and have lived through different circumstances, and that disagreement is not a good reason to treat others with disrespect. Always take the high road.
2. Do not get caught up in small things you cannot change. Life cannot be perfect. There are always going to be small annoyances as well as unfortunate things that are beyond our power. The key is to identify what cannot be changed and to be at peace with it. Learn to let things go.
3. Cultivate greater awareness. What is the point of life if one withdraws from the world around them and does not take an interest in anything? Try to cultivate a sense of curiosity, and continuously build your knowledge of the world. It is easy to become numb, but this is not good for the mind or for one’s overall health.
4. Be healthy now. Many people think of good health as something they will have to do at some point in the future, rather than an everyday imperative that should be urgent right now. Stop making excuses for why it is okay to eat bad food or to neglect exercise. If you want to live a long and healthy life, now is the time to do things right. Take control of your health before it gets out of your hands.
5. Exercise every day. There are no excuses for failing to exercise. Even if you are swamped at work and you have many family obligations, it is essential to take 30 minutes to an hour every day to engage in physical activity. It does not have to be a rigorous, challenging type of exercise. It just needs to elevate your heart rate and get your muscles working. If you like yoga, for instance, but cannot do it every day, find simpler types of exercise that you can do on days when yoga is too much.
6. Think about what you put in your body. Everyone likes to have a sweet or salty treat, some coffee, or an alcoholic beverage every now and then, and that is fine. But when it comes to your daily habits, be very careful with what you put in your body. Remember that everything you eat permeates your body and affects your energy and state of mind. As much as possible, stick with pure, natural foods and drinks that come from the earth and do not contain toxic ingredients.
7. Sleep well. Even if you do everything else perfectly, you simply cannot live well if you do not get enough sleep. Granted, many people are too busy to get the full eight to nine hours that everyone really should get, but try not to make a habit of getting less than seven hours. When you do not sleep enough, you just sell yourself short and prevent yourself from living as well as you can.
By Jamell Andrews